Saturday 9 January 2010

My Istarian New Year Resolution


While I have nothing to complain about, my guild (and more particularly my main character Algenon) certainly do - we're more than a week into the new year and I've logged into Istaria just once.

The reasons are many. Firstly, TV. There's a lot of great tele out there right now and I've got a lot of catching up to do. The Wire, The Sopranos, The Shield, True Blood, Dexter - I can't believe how much good stuff I've missed.

Secondly, a resurging love of a good tabletop game (yup, I tick every nerd box in the book, hehe): from Blokus and Ingenious to Carcassonne, Arkham and Race for the Galaxy, I'm loving playing board and card games for the first time in years.

The reason I missed a lot of good TV? Istaria. The reason I'm suddenly catching up? New girlfriend who doesn't play MMOs, but that does enjoy board games and good TV.

There's also solo games I've missed out on too. I had a group of maybe 10 real life friends who played MMOs (some from before we started playing, some I've met since), but there are only two or three of us playing regularly at any one time now, with the others heading back mainly to PC RPGs and RTSs. And yes, I've tried to talk them into playing Istaria, but they all got burnt first time round and are really reluctant (although I think I've got a good shot at one of them once he finishes Dragon Age). But to add insult to injury, they invariable tell me about these great solo games. Shiny, sparkling, magical games. And so it goes, I have to take a look too.

As I said above, none of this is bad news for me: the girlfriend, TV, games etc are all good, but I know that whatever else I get bored of, or run out of, or finish, or get dumped by... Istaria will be the one I go back to (as long as it doesn't go belly up!). So I can't continue this neglect - the guilt is ramping up and after all, there are silos to be made!

So, my New Year's resolution is this: make sure I play AT LEAST once per week. Guildies - please hold me to that!

Istaria - www.istaria.com

No comments:

Post a Comment